Not able to use WAPL with Visual Studio 2010.

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
May 14, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Dear All,

We used WAPL for .NET 2.0 based web application. Yesterday, i was trying to use Visual Studio 2010 for my Web Application [which uses WAPL tool].

However, I am not able to use it. It gives me error. Any idea, on support for Visual Studio 2010 ?

May 14, 2010 at 10:04 AM

We are using it with VS2010 just fine.  What's your error?

I did try using a later version of aspnet_merge but that seemed to fail.   Biggest issue for us is the performance of aspnet_merge on our very large project - it's woeful.

May 14, 2010 at 3:09 PM

I am using , Web Application targeted framework to .NET 2.0 . I am using Window 7 Enterprise Edition 32bit.

This is the error I am getting.

Unhandled Exception: Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.InvalidProjectFileException: The imported project "D:\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v10.0\WebApplications\Microsoft.WebApplication.targets" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk. D:\Projects\51000-20100506 - Copy\DecosEditFormControls\DecosEditFormControls-vs2008.csproj
at Microsoft.Build.Shared.ProjectErrorUtilities.ThrowInvalidProject(String errorSubCategoryResourceName, XmlNode xmlNode, String resourceName, Object[] args)
at Microsoft.Build.Shared.ProjectErrorUtilities.VerifyThrowInvalidProject(Boolean condition, String errorSubCategoryResourceName, XmlNode xmlNode, String resourceName, Object arg0)
at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Project.LoadImportedProject(Import import)
at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Project.ProcessImportElement(XmlElement importElement, Boolean importedProject)
at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Project.ProcessProjectChildren(XmlElement projectElement, Boolean importedProject)
at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Project.ProcessMainProjectElement()
at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Project.RefreshProjectIfDirty()
at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Project.InternalLoadFromXmlDocument(XmlDocument projectXml)
at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Project.Load(String projectFileName)
at InSite.WebApplicationProjectUserControlLibraryTool.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\src\wapl\WAPL Tool\Program.cs:line 67

The Error i am getting is due to

<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v10.0\WebApplications\Microsoft.WebApplication.targets" />
I guess, it is not able to resolve MSBuildExtensionsPath32 well. As you can see, Path for Microsoft.WebApplication.Targets is located from D:/... , 
while i have installed VS 2010 on C:/Program Files...
I resolved it by required folder into D: drive then it is giving me error on ItemGroupDefinition tag... any idea ?
May 14, 2010 at 3:47 PM

I think this is an issue with the project you are trying to combine being in .net 3.5 and the WAPL tool being compiled in .net 4 (or vice versa).  I had this problem myself when I first converted the projects to .net 4.

May 17, 2010 at 7:45 AM
Edited May 17, 2010 at 9:49 AM
grahamt wrote:

I think this is an issue with the project you are trying to combine being in .net 3.5 and the WAPL tool being compiled in .net 4 (or vice versa).  I had this problem myself when I first converted the projects to .net 4.

Our product is fully .NET 2.0 based. When i use same version of WAPL tool with VS 2008 it works smooth...It does not work when i converted my projects [Not traget framework] to VS 2010.

what surprised me is ,
Unhandled Exception: Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.InvalidProjectFileException: The imported project "D:\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v10.0\WebApplications\Microsoft.WebApplication.targets" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk. D:\Projects\51000-20100506 - Copy\DecosEditFormControls\DecosEditFormControls-vs2008.csproj. This error indicates that , it is not able to evaluate $(MsBuildExtensionsPath32) variable.

Can you suggest any solution for the same ? I am using WAPL tool compiled in framework 2.0 ?

Shall i create all project in VS 2010 and copy files ? Will this help ?